Back on the road

Travels to the Conservation International Symposium in Madagascar, June 2006

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Small town with cyber shop





In a small market town where two roads cross, we stopped for a drink, a look at the market stalls (mostly food and cheap stuff from China) and a few photos. Down the street I strained to read the sign -- yup, a shop labelled "Cyber". The proprietress sold and repaired computer equipment, ran a few PCs (advertising games to play), and used a modem for internet access. She also made photocopies. Reminded me of the shops in the 1980s in most African countries, which would have copy machines and a telephone with a coin box. Today, I saw several people with cell phones, and market stalls selling cards for phone time, but the photocopier, and now the PC, are shared.

And I still can't get over the general use of man-pulled rickshaws. I've noticed a few bits of Chinese influence -- a road paved in the 1970s with a pagoda memorial, a few Chinese restauranters, but I don't know if that's related or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home